You are viewing dark_fetus

September 2014   01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Awash in Red

Stonefield Door Project

Posted on 2014.02.02 at 23:46
How Do I Feel?: accomplishedaccomplished
I never posted about this when it was occurring, but I find myself without much to do on this Sunday night and figured I may as well get some use out of my LiveJournal and write something journal-y in it. That being said - Over the past summer I took on a job for Stonefield Engineering, to craft them a large piece of artwork for their lobby. After some emails back-and-forth and finally a meeting we decided upon making their logo into an eye-catching wall piece. I wanted to use re-purposed building supplies from the get-go, as the company itself deals heavily in building planning and jobs of that nature. They were game, so I decided upon utilizing (really) old doors, as they remain recognizable as doors even after being diced up and made into something else. What follows is an image-heavy step-by-step of how 4 dirty old doors from a building salvage yard became a glossy lobby art-piece in Stonefield's Rutherford, NJ headquarters. I took all of the following photos with my phone, so don't expect any wonderful captures, I just wanted to chronicle the job from start to finish.


The doors on the day I got them. Being as they're quite old, some of them were considerably heavy, though they may not appear so.




Since I was planning on retaining the aged look of the doors, I couldn't sand them down to the original wood.
The cracks and imperfections in the paint were important to the final piece, and I wanted to keep as much of it as possible,
still I couldn't work on a piece that had loose bits falling all over, so step 1 was a high-pressure wash.




Here's a great example of just how much filth was caked onto the doors.
This was only after my first pass with the power-washer.




After the pressure-washing was through, I had to take a stiff brush and soap to get the rest of the debris off.




Soap suds and paint chips... everywhere.




Doors after the final rinse.




Now is a good time to show what the Stonefield logo looks like.
It's simply a black diamond with three circles in the center of it.
So... that's what I was aiming to make out of the 4 doors.




Since it's a square logo, and I have 4 doors, that meant a lot of 45-degree angles needed to be made.
This was the step I hated most, as a lot was riding on getting the lines and angles as close to perfect as possible.




Seriously, it was a crappy step, especially since each door was a different width.




BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ




Hope I didn't screw this up too bad...




Oh thank God, they make a square.




Spray-priming the whole mess black.




First coat of super-gloss black.




Cellphone photos really don't do this gloss black paint justice.




Paint job complete.
Again, the paint looks WAY better in real-life. It's a gloss piano black.




Since the piece was to hang on a light colored wall, I had to seal the seams from the back so that you couldn't see through it.
Even though the seams looked tight in the photos, there were tiny imperfections, and they looked bad against light surfaces.
What I'm using here was actually a (much messier and smellier than expected) tar-based sealant.




Clean-up required gasoline, so that didn't help the smell any.




ANOTHER coat of paint, mostly as a touch-up.




Next I had to cut and attach a lot of support bracketry, to add strength and keep everything square.
I also attached hardware for a large television wall-mount, which added strength and was to be used to mount it upon the lobby wall.




I used a lot of screws...




As preciously stated, the logo had 3 dots in the center of it. I decided to make these dots using outdoor lighting fixtures.
I changed the housing over to use special lamps, so I had to bore out large holes to recess the sockets into.




I had to hone out an equal sized hole in the metal housing as well.
Finding plastic rings to put into the holes was a pain, but necessary to keep people from cutting themselves if changing a bulb.




The completed lamp housing. 1 of 3.




The back of the piece, most of the way through wiring.




The bulbs I installed were color-selectable LED.
Each of the three lamp housings can display a different color, or fade through all available colors at various speeds.




Again, cellphone pics don't do the thing justice, but here's the final piece before hanging.




And here it is, where it sits to this day.


~Rusty






Comments:


franklanguage
franklanguage at 2014-02-03 05:33 (UTC) (Link)
I couldn't read this without commenting; you did a great job!
Some Slut I Used to Fuck
filthy_lily at 2014-02-03 06:56 (UTC) (Link)
Totally fantastic.
Your Face
kandigurl at 2014-02-22 18:20 (UTC) (Link)
That is badass!! I wouldn't even know where to begin with a project like that. I really wish I had more hardware/tools skills.
 Come One, Come All...
dark_fetus at 2014-03-03 04:39 (UTC) (Link)
Haha, thanks! Don't worry too much, I have no "real" training in any way aside from learning-by-doing. Anyone can do this stuff, the real trick is patience, and the ability to accept that things will not go smoothly.
Previous Entry  Next Entry